Open A Business On Central Avenue
Central Avenue welcomes your business and so does the City of Jersey City. Visit the City website to learn about filing and registering your business, permits and licenses, forms and fees, required Jersey City licenses, and much more. Please be sure to explore all the resources provided below to learn more about doing business on Central Avenue and in Jersey City. Information about day-to-day operation on Central Avenue (garbage collection, sidewalk maintenance, etc.) is available on the FAQ page.
After reading through this website, your next step should be to contact the CASID office and schedule a meeting to converse about opening a Jersey City storefront businesses.
Neighborhood Profile/ Demographics
The consumer market in Jersey City is shifting with young urban professionals moving in while many from the older community are moving on. Jersey City is a great place to open a serious business but be sure to do your homework first!
Neighborhood Profile/ Demographics
Grants & Other Business Incentives
- The Central Avenue business district is in the State of New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone (UEZ) Program. What does that mean to businesses within the district? It means that businesses participating in the program can access a number of financial programs designed to stimulate job creation and business growth. Are you searching for a location for your startup business and are not sure if Jersey City is right for you? Do you currently own a business in Jersey City and would like to make improvements? Consider the grants and business incentives available through the City of Jersey City to help with the decision making.
- Jersey City Urban Enterprise Zone Program
- Grants & Incentives
Important Resources for Local Businesses
- Jersey City Economic Development Corporation
- Hudson County Chamber of Commerce
- Small Business Administration
- New Jersey Business
- New Jersey Division of Revenue
- New Jersey Lottery (Information for Retailers)
- New Jersey Tax Record Search (property owner info)
- Better Business Bureau of NJ
- Department of Labor and Workforce Development
- Division of Codes and Standards
- Rising Tide Capital, Community Business Academy
Available Commercial Spaces & Real Estate
- Jersey City continues to grow and new business opportunities appear everyday. If you have what it takes to make it in business then consider becoming part of the Central Avenue Special Improvement District.
Commercial Space Availabilities
- Real Estate Opportunities
- Updating your storefront signage is not only a business investment, but an investment in your community to further revitalize the business district. Before beginning such a project, you must ask yourself "Are my signage plans up to code?" By simply reviewing the information here you can save time and money. If your new sign is NOT up to code, you can face heavy fines until you correct the problem. Please be sure to consult with the CASID or Jersey City Division of Planning before you install a new sign.
Municipal Codes Pertaining to Business on Central Avenue
- It might be long and wordy, but the Code of the City of Jersey City is an essential read for business and property owners. We've saved you time by excerpting the sections of the code that are most relevant to doing business on Central Avenue.
- Municipal Code
How to Handle Counterfeit Notes/ Money/ Bills
Periodically, Central Avenue merchants may find counterfeit $100, $20, and $10 bills circulating within the community. Business owners should not assume that customers know they are in possession of counterfeit money but should be made aware they are when spotted with one. For more information on how to identify counterfeit bills and how to handle such situations please refer to the following websites: